UK: Majestic Wine Christmas sales down
Majestic Wine has reported a 3% slip in sales in the last ten weeks, indicating a difficult Christmas trading period for wine retailers.
Majestic said today (8 January) that sales fell by 2.9% in the ten weeks from 28 October to 5 January.
Chief executive Steve Lewis said: "We saw modest growth in sales to our private customers over the Christmas period. Sales to businesses, especially of Champagne, were down on last year as they continued to rein in their spending."
Majestic, which saw like-for-like sales fall 2% in its fiscal first half, ended 29 September, had warned that it expected a "challenging" Christmas period.
Its warning was echoed by others in the sector. Constellation Europe told just-drinks in December that it would be forced to cut around 50 jobs in the UK due to wine duty tax rises and a market that had fallen into "negative growth".
Industry sources have told just-drinks that further job losses loom across the UK wine sector in the coming months.
Last month, ex-Brown-Forman exec David Cox became Europe director for New Zealand Winegrowers. He spoke with Chris Mercer about what attracted him to working for a generic body and about New Zealand's...
With tough market conditions at home and a strong euro hampering exports, Chris Losh believes European wine producers need policymakers to make bold decisions rather than resisting or fudging changes ...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Constellation Brands has posted a marked fall in net sales and profits for the first quarter of its current fiscal year....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has acquired the Effen vodka brand from Sazerac Co....
Crown Imports has launched a food-based tie-up for two of Grupo Modelo beer brands in the US....
Constellation Europe is launching Semillon Sauvignon and Cabernet Merlot wines in the UK to support the growth of its Banrock Station brand in the country....
Asia-based investors have dominated international interest in the sale of Foster's Australian wine assets, but prices are under pressure....
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends