MEXICO/SPAIN: Mahou-San Miguel signs Grupo Modelo deal
Grupo Modelo to sell Mahou lager in Mexico
Mahou San-Miguel has signed a distribution deal with Grupo Modelo that will see its Mahou lager enter Mexico for the first time.
Modelo will distribute Mahou lager across both the off- and on-trade, Spain-based Mahou-San Miguel said yesterday (17 November). The group said that it sees an opportunity in Mexico's "growing niche market" for imported, premium beer.
Mahou is set to benefit from Modelo's position as Mexico's largest brewer by volume. Consumers in Mexico drink 7bn litres of beer annually, around twice that consumed in Mahou's native Spain.
For Modelo, meanwhile, the deal offers the firm another premium beer with which to combat the Heineken brand. Heineken owns the country's second largest brewer, FEMSA Cerveza. Anheuser-Busch InBev has a 50% non-controlling stake in Modelo.
Sectors: Beer & cider
This month, we present a four-part management briefing into the role the alcoholic drinks industry does play, doesn't play, and ought to play in encouraging responsible consumption. Part two sees Ben ...
Anheuser-Busch InBev has squeezed Heineken out of the Dominican Republic via its deal to gain control of the country's largest brewer, Ceverceria Nacional Dominicana (CND)....
Earlier this week, Harris Interactive released its annual study of brand health for beverages in the US....
Grupo Damm's Estrella Damm beer brand is set to benefit from a marketing push in the UK....
Constellation Brands has lined up a new credit facility....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends