NZ: Lion wants to tap back into NZ beer market
Lion Breweries is looking to save tap beer in New Zealand pubs by making specialist brews. Managing director, Roger North, unveiled the new Brewmaster beer this week saying it was important to get people drinking tap beer. "We believe in taps," he told just-drinks.com. "It is fresher but if it is not kept well it tastes worse than bottles and that drives people away. If we don't have taps, we don't need pubs which could see the end of much beer drinking." Lion, which makes Steinlager, Red, Brown and Speights, will also be introducing quality awards to pubs who keep their taps well. The Brewmaster range will see a new beer every four months but will not get a big budget marketing push. Instead publicans will be encouraged to spread the word. Lion's Six Malt Beer is part of the Brewmaster range and it was launched this week. It combines five varieties of malted barley with malted oats and Manuka honey to create a dark and rich beer. Lion describes it as "a 4.5% ale-style dark rugby winter beer". It will only be available at about 100 pubs although Lion is looking to expand this number. "You might ask why Lion is messing with something that will never really be viable financially," said North. "We want to improve the image of tap beer in New Zealand and bring people back to tap beer."David Robertson
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US