AUSTRALIA: Lehmann net profit down 22%
PLW said revenues rose by 3% to A$46.6m but it added that growth slowed in the second half to 1%. Sales growth in the first half to the end of December had been 6%.
Exports rose by 19% in volume terms and by 10% in value terms. Exports represented 58% of total branded wine sales volumes, with the UK the company's largest market.
"Gains in distribution, particularly with regional wholesalers and on premise outlets, together with the acceptance of the Weighbridge and Wildcard ranges, saw volumes grow by 10% over the past 12 months (in the UK)," the company said. "Revenue (from the UK) was down 4% for similar reasons that are affecting the domestic market. While this market will continue to remain extremely competitive, the company expects to see further growth and improved returns over the next 12 months."
PLW was bullish about the coming year. While the international market remained extremely competitive, the company said that trading in Australian markets was returning to a more steady pattern after the discounting seen over the past 12 months. "With the strength of its brand and its network of distributors, Peter Lehmann Wines is planning to significantly exceed last year's profit result," the company said.
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research