CANADA: Labatt Brewing Co sues Brick Brewing
Brick Brewing said this week that Labatt is taking it to Canada's Federal Court, alleging that Brick's Red Baron beer looks too similar to Labatt's Brava brand.
Arguing that consumers are confused between the two brands, particularly because of their similar design and colouring, Labatt is seeking an injunction against Red Baron and damages.
Brick president and CEO George Croft said: "Their claim is without merit, we do not believe consumers are being confused and we tried to talk through the situation with Labatt and avoid an adversarial relationship."
He added: "Notwithstanding the differences in packaging, based on The Beer Store retail layout and policies, consumers normally have to ask for Red Baron by name, which makes confusion over packaging seem unlikely."
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has questioned the legality of caffeinated alcoholic beverages and may ban the drinks if producers cannot prove that adding caffeine to alcohol is safe....
The US Food ad Drug Administration is to investigate the safety and legality of caffeinated alcoholic beverages, following concern over the effects of the drinks on consumers....
AmBev, the division of Anheuser-Busch InBev, booked a 5.8% increase in third-quarter profit, boosted by beer sales in Brazil and prices increases....
Read the top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
Disappointment over Anheuser-Busch InBev's third quarter beer sales has been largely offset by the brewer's optimism on the fourth quarter and progress on synergies, according to analysts....
Anheuser-Busch InBev booked an increase in profits in the third quarter of the year as price rises and cost cuts offset lower beer consumption....
Anheuser-Busch InBev will report its third quarter results on Thursday 12 November....
Here you can find the top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review