JAPAN: Kirin, Suntory merger to clear antitrust probe - analyst
Japan's Fair Trade Commission is considering the monopoly potential of a merger, but an analyst at JP Morgan Japan told just-drinks today (21 July) the approval should go through before the end of the month.
Suntory and Kirin last week confirmed they were in talks to merge, although no agreement had been reached.
"The FTC is more than likely to approve such a deal as the Government has already voiced its support," said the analyst. "Japan wants a large, strong and robust company like this to compete effectively in the global marketplace."
She added that news of the merger talks initially shocked investors, but now "there is great excitement as we haven't really seen anything like this before in Japan. Previously it had always been the strong taking over the weak. This rewrites the rulebooks."
Destocking and economic turmoil aside, 2009 must surely be the year when Japan's latent drinks giants seized their chance to make themselves heard on the international scene....
Kirin Holdings is making its presence felt at San Miguel Brewery, as the Philippines-based brewer announces expansion plans....
From the vineyards of Australia to the boardrooms of the multi-nationals; from job losses and bankruptcies in the UK to the consolidation of the fragmented French sector - few aspects of the world's w...
Like the other sectors of our industry, the economy cast a shadow over the spirits category in 2009. The aftershocks of the downturn spread around the world, with Scotland appearing to be the epicentr...
With the end of the year looming, just-drinks is running a series of 'Top Tens of the Year' in the run-up to Christmas. Today, it's the Top Ten Most Read Comment Pieces of 2009....
What 2009 lacked in explosive headlines in the brewing category, it more than made up for in tactical manoeuvres for the future. Olly Wehring considers a year that was always going to struggle, in eve...
Suntory Holdings' deal to acquire Orangina Schweppes is another step forward in the Japanese group's plan to expand overseas, writes Michelle Russell....
Foster's Group will significantly raise its spend on Victoria Bitter in 2010 as part of a three-year plan to adapt the iconic brand to a rapidly changing Australian beer market....
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Scotch Whisky Top 20 Export Markets 2014
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Moet Hennessy sells Scotch Malt Whisky Society
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly