JAPAN: Kirin Holdings eyes fresh takeover deals
Japanese brewer Kirin Holdings has said that it will continue to pursue M&A deals in Asia in order to reduce its reliance on an "unsustainable" domestic market.
Kirin, which recently failed in a bid for Australia-based Coca-Cola Amatil, has said it intends to source 30% of net sales from outside of Japan by 2015. It estimates that 24% of sales will come from other countries in 2009.
"We think there are different ways to achieve this [and] M&A is one of the most effective options," a Kirin spokesperson told just-drinks on Friday (13 February).
Japan's beer market is shrinking due to an ageing population and a sluggish economy.
"Japan is still a large, wealthy, attractive market and a vital long-term cash generator for Kirin, but Japan alone is ultimately unable to sustain Kirin's top-line growth," said the spokesperson.
Kirin last week reported a 20% rise in net profit to JPY80.18bn (US$880m) for 2008.
The US has Budweiser, the so-called King of Beers. Soon Japan may have a Godzilla. Kirin, the country's biggest maker of suds, is mulling a merger with family-owned drinks maker Suntory, according to ...
The confirmation on Monday (13 July) that Japan's two largest drinks companies - Kirin and Suntory - are in discussions on merging their operations may have caught the industry by surprise, but the re...
Coca-Cola Amatil has posted a healthy set of half-year results, driven primarily by its beverage businesses in Australia....
Sapporo Holdings has lined up the acquisition of a stake in Japanese food and drinks company Pokka....
Boisset Family Estates, the Burgundy-based wine and spirits maker, has purchased Raymond Vineyard & Cellar from Kirin Holdings....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Kirin Holdings has raised its full-year net earnings guidance by 5%, despite an 82% slide in profits in the first half of 2009....
Asahi Breweries has posted a lift in first half net profits, as a one-off gain helped temper a marked slide in operating profits for the period....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research