INDIA: Khoday persists with Scotch trademark appeal
The UK's Scotch Whisky Association has reiterated to the Supreme Court that Indian whisky makers should be denied the right to use the words 'Scot' or 'Scotch' on their products as the words are "misleading".
In the latest of a long line of court appeals, India's Khoday Group, owner of whisky brand Peter Scot, has argued against the decision that it should remove its brand name from the register on the grounds that it could deceive consumers into thinking it was Scotch whisky.
Speaking to just-drinks today (28 November), Scotch Whisky Association spokesperson David Williamson said: "Various decisions are to protect the consumer from unfair and misleading practices. On each occasion, Indian courts have dismissed the appeals and agreed that the name is misleading to the Indian consumer."
The Association had also sought to restrain domestic manufacturers from using the trademark on the ground that only those who produce whisky in Scotland can use the word 'Scotch' to sell their brands, the trade body said.
Beam Global Spirits & Wine was the frontrunner to land Absolut vodka but was pipped at the post by Pernod Ricard. However, president and CEO Tom Flocco says the company has quickly put that disappoint...
Last year, just-drinks took part in a working party, set up following the World Whiskies Conference in 2007, to look at how to raise the profile of Scotch whisky. At this year's conference, held in Gl...
In anticipation of the London International Wine Fair, Chris Losh has put together a few questions, touching on some of the imponderable puzzlements of the drinks industry, for visitors to mull over, ...
Malt whisky continues to outpace the growth of blended Scotch and its leading brands are putting in stellar performances. But as a new report from just-drinks explains, a closer look reveals a categor...
Whisky brand Scottish Leader has announced it is now the fourth-largest Scotch in the UK, thanks mainly to the brand's involvement with Scottish football clubs....
Scotch whisky export value and volume reached record levels last year, according to industry figures released today (30 April)....
Inver House Distillers has reported a healthy set of results for its latest fiscal year....
The Edrington Group has released its oldest ever offering of Highland Park in the UK market, as part of its core range of single malts....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt I
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Molson Coors hit by US$500m write-down in Canada
- ForEx bites, but Heineken hails strong 2016
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends