just the round-up - the week in drinks
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week included news the world's number one wine group was to reduce its Australian footprint, Coca-Cola has acquired assets in Colombia and Diageo is upping its commitment to fight fraud.
Change at the top for Bacardi
Bacardi has confirmed a change of leadership at the family-owned drinks company. Facundo Bacardi, the Bermuda-based company's chairman, announced that Seamus McBride will replace Andreas Gembler as president and CEO.
Soy drinks to the fore
Soy beverages saw a US growth of 19.3% last year as the category makes a definitive move towards the mainstream, recent research has shown.
AG Barr acquisition
A.G.Barr has lined up the acquisition of Groupe Rubicon. The two UK-based companies confirmed today (5 August) that Barr, which owns the Irn Bru soft drink brand, will buy Rubicon for GBP59.8m (US$116.9m).
Stoli sale talk denied
Stolichnaya vodka is not for sale, but brand owner SPI Group is in negotiations to form new distribution agreements in key markets, minority shareholder Andrey Skurikhin has told just-drinks.
CCHBC ups Italian presence
Coca-Cola Hellenic has lined up the purchase of Socib in Italy. The Greece-based company confirmed today (6 August) that it will buy Socib, the second largest Coca-Cola franchise bottler in Italy, for EUR270m (US$416.5m) including debt.
Constellation to sell assets
Constellation Brands is looking to sell some of its wine assets in Australia. The US-based company confirmed yesterday (6 August) that it will divest certain assets at Constellation Wines Australia and will implement changes to its wine portfolio and production footprint in the country.
Coke Colombian buy
Diageo fights fraud
Diageo has filed legal action against Chinese drinks firm Blue Blood, accusing the group of copying the packaging design used on Johnnie Walker whisky.
Italian wine scandal latest
Sales of Brunello di Montalcino wine rose strongly in the first half of this year, despite a fraud investigation against some of the region's best-known producers, the local wine union has said.
Molson Coors struggles
Molson Coors has posted a marked drop in profits for the first half of this year, as one-off charges made their presence felt.
It is now more than a year and a half since Troy Christensen took the helm at Constellation Europe, the European division of the world's biggest wine company. Given the current state of the European m...
Increased investment by multinationals is transforming the rum sector which, according to a new report from just-drinks and IWSR, could be the next "hot" international spirits category. Ben Cooper rep...
A raft of recent reports looking at the US spirits market have suggested that, while times are tough in the country, they could be a whole lot worse. Chris Mercer takes a closer look at the numbers t...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Diageo has declined to comment further on reports that it is looking for a larger than previously reported stake in United Spirits in India....
Cecchetti Racke has hired two sales directors to join its US sales force....
Drinks giant Diageo has defended its record on tax payments in the UK, following allegations that it has sought to shift profit to lower tax countries....
The Distilled Spirits Council (DISCUS) has confirmed a raft of changes to its Code of Responsible Practices....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends