just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev Q1
A-B InBev will report its first-quarter results on Monday (30 April)
Anheuser-Busch InBev will report its first-quarter results on Monday (30 April). Here, just-drinks takes a look at the highs and lows for the company in the three months to the end of March.
- It was a quiet quarter for A-B InBev. Rumours of a takeover of China's Kingway Breweries and StarBev in Czech Republic filtered through but neither transaction panned out. Instead, the company spent part of January defending a decision to delete Wikipedia references to Stella Artois being referred to in the UK as “wife-beater”. Not everyone was against InBev's stand.
- On January 12, A-B InBev acquired the rights to the 'Budweiser' trademarks held by Czech brewer, Budejovicky Mestansky Pivovar. The company is still locked in its long-running battle with Budejovicky Budvar over the right to the 'Budweiser' name.
- InBev's US president Dave Peacock announced at the end of January his intention to step down. Peacock was the last surviving executive of the Anheuser-Busch era.
- Grupo Modelo snubbed its corporate buddy in late February, picking Carlsberg as its importer in China. A-B InBev owns a 50% non-controlling stake in Modelo, but the Mexican brewer has used distribution deals in the past to exert its independence.
- The end of the quarter saw A-B InBev and Heineken look set to duke it out to buy Dominican Republic's biggest brewer, Cerveceria Nacional Dominicana, for US$1.5bn. Earlier this month, CND fell to A-B InBev.
To view the brewer's Q4 and full-year results, click here.
It has been an absorbing day at the ICAP 'Global Actions: Initiatives to Reduce Harmful Drinking' conference here in Washington DC....
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- The European beer market - Focus
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Remy snaps up Seattle's Westland Distillery
- Diageo reaches deal in Stitzel legal row
- Sazerac poaches ex-Diageo government director