just the Facts - Mexico's beer market
Grupo Modelo has lost beer market share in Mexico
After just-drinks broke the news this week that SABMiller has effectively kick-started an inquiry into alleged "monopolistic practices" by FEMSA Cerveza and Grupo Modelo in Mexico, just-drinks takes a closer look at the country's beer market.
All figures are courtesy of market research group Mintel and its Global Market Navigator (GMN).
- Mexico's beer sector is dominated by Grupo Modelo, in which Anheuser-Busch InBev has a non-controlling 50% stake, and FEMSA Cerveza, which was bought by Heineken at the start of 2010. Mintel figures show that Modelo lost volume market share to FEMSA and other brewers in 2009. It put Modelo on 53% and FEMSA on 42% for 2009, compared to respective shares of 56% and 41% in 2008.
- Beer market value rose by 5.4% in 2009. This is forecast to rise by 8% in 2010 and then by between 6% and 7.5% annually up to 2014, which should help to see Mexico sustain is position as one of the most profitable beer markets in the world.
- Price increases will drive value growth, while volume sales are expected to increase more slowly. Volume sales fell for the first time in at least five years in 2009, slipping by 0.5% to 6.317bn litres. The market is set to expand by 5.5% in volume this year and then by between 3.5% and 4% each year to 2014.
- Per capita beer consumption is set to reach 66 litres in the country by 2014. It was 57 litres last year.
- Returnable bottles account for 50% of the market by volume, while cans constitute a quarter of the market and non-returnable bottles just under a quarter. Barrels account for 1% of the sector.
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets