just For Subscribers - The week in drinks
The most popular items among just-drinks' subscribers this week
Here are the eight most viewed, subscriber-only items on just-drinks this week:
It took Diageo many years to win the hand of United Spirits (USL), the subsidiary of the Vijay Mallya-owned UB Group. But, this week, the back-slapping that hailed the securing of its successful courtship gave way to pre-wedding jitters as an Indian court ordered Mallya to stump up a INR5bn (US$91.9m) personal guarantee.
Last month, Chris Losh was one of the experts on just-drinks' ‘state of the industry’ webinar. While the webinar looked at the drinks industry as a whole, Chris thinks the results provide plenty of food for thought for the wine companies of this world.
Diageo's move to take control of The UB Group's United Spirits division remains on course, despite court approval for UB's creditors to sell off pledged shares in the unit, just-drinks understands.
Earlier today (2 April), the Scotch Whisky Association released the Scotch export figures for 2012. Here, courtesy of the SWA, is a list of the top export markets for Scotch in 2012 by value and by volume.
Reports today claiming that Diageo's public offer to up its stake in United Spirits (USL) is doomed to failure should be taken in some sort of context.
Drinks companies stand to benefit as the globall travel retail market continues to expand, buoyed by millions of new passengers from developing economies, according to a new just-drinks/IWSR report.
Is the fabled Scotch whisky boom subsiding? New figures released earlier this week have revealed that export volumes of Scotch in 2012 were down by 5% on 2011.
This weekend marked the fifth anniversary of Pernod Ricard's acquisition of Vin & Sprit and the Absolut vodka brand. A lot has changed since those heady days of 2008, so how does the race for - and purchase of - V&S look today? Chris Mercer takes a closer look.
For further details on how to subscribe to just-drinks, click here.
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Cognac is back - is Remy Cointreau ready?
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Pernod Ricard YTD fiscal-2017 sales performance
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World