US: Judge throws out Monster's bid to stop state legal action
Monster has failed in its bid to stop futher scrutiny by San Francisco's city attorney
A bid by Monster Beverage to stop possible legal action by San Francisco's city attorney over the company's marketing practices has failed.
The energy drinks producer launched a pre-emptive lawsuit against Dennis Herrera, the city attorney, in late April after he began a probe in 2012. Herrera followed this in May with a state court action alleging that Monster is “violating” California law by targeting children with its products.
But late last week, US district judge Virginia Phillips dismissed Monster's action, according to a statement on Herrera's website.
"Monster Energy's federal suit was a meritless ploy to stop our state consumer protection case, and I'm grateful to the court for issuing an unequivocal dismissal,” said Herrera.
Previously Monster had claimed Herrera's actions were motivated by “publicity rather than science”. The company said in its lawsuit: “Today, any child can walk into a Starbucks and buy an unlimited number of 16oz brewed coffee drinks, each with more than twice the caffeine as (Monster's) 16oz energy drinks,” the suit said.
Nobody was immediately available for comment from Monster when contacted by just-drinks today.
Sectors: Soft drinks
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- What's coming up in wine in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- The Cognac Category - Everything you need to know
- Diageo Australia names new commercial head
- Edrington readies Americas, GTR exec switches
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- High-end Cognac making recovery in China - Pernod
- "Beer and weed are complements" - analyst
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Darker Than Before: Global Prospects for Brown Spirits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends