CHILE: Injunction halts Coke's plans to terminate Chile bottling franchise
An injunction by Chile's antimonopoly commission has blocked Coca-Cola from halting the Canada Dry and Crush bottling franchises held by Chile's Compania Cervecerias Unidas SA.Under an agreement with Cadbury Schweppes, CCU's Emobtelladora Chillenas Unidas SA unit were to bottle Canada Dry and Crush beverages in Chile until 2004, but according to reports, when Coca Cola bought Cadbury Schweppes last year it informed the CCU unit its bottling agreement would be terminated in 60 days.Embobtelladora is also a franchisee of Pepsico and both CCU and Pepsi Cola claim Coca-Cola's decision to terminate the agreement in Chile is a threat to free competition in the soft drinks industry.An injunction has been in force since January and has now been extended by the antimonopoly commission for 180 days while the investigation continues.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets