CHINA: Imported spirits soar in 2005 - research
Imported wine and spirit sales in China soared last year, according to new research.
The IWSR Drinks Record said yesterday (13 July) that it estimates imported spirits sales in 2005 to have leapt by almost 62% year-on-year to 2.55m nine-litre cases.
The drinks analyst credited the surge to the booming Chinese economy, rising levels of disposable income, the elimination of trade barriers as China complies with World Trade Organisation rules and the development of both on- and off-trade distribution channels.
The increase was driven by Scotch whisky, The IWSR said, which overtook Cognac last year to become the leading imported spirits category in the country. While Pernod Ricard's Chivas Regal saw its flagship 12-Year-Old whisky leap by 120% year-on-year to 660,000, Diageo's Johnnie Walker Black could 'only' muster a 63% rise to 201,000 cases in the same period.
International white spirits are attracting positive attention in the modern on-premise sector, the IWSR noted.
Speaking to the magazine, Diageo China's corporate relations director, Michael Lu, said: "The growth in this industry will be sustainable for the foreseeable future. People are getting more health-conscious, which results in a trend to trade up to better-quality brands."
In her first monthly column for just-drinks, renowned spirits journalist Patience Gould looks ahead to what 2007 has in store for the major international spirits producers....
The president and CEO of Corby Distilleries is to stand down....
Pernod Ricard has launched an Internet sales site in dedicated to offering customers, and particularly connoisseurs, top of the range products in France....
Diageo has forked deeper into the food market with the introduction of Guinness whole grain bread....
Malibu-Kahlúa International, the US-based Pernod Ricard subsidiary that manages the Malibu brand, has unveiled new-look packaging for the Caribbean flavoured rum. The packaging is the first of what wi...
Havana Club International, the rum joint venture between Pernod Ricard and the Cuban government, plans to open a distillery on the island....
Pernod Ricard has added to its Martell Cognac portfolio with the launch of Martell Création Grand Extra in travel retail outlets....
The holding company for the Ricard family and the Dutch finance arm of Japanese brewer Kirin have upped their joint stake in Pernod Ricard....
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Britvic appoints SABMiller's Dunn as CFO
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Q2 drags on half-year for Anheuser-Busch InBev
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research