UK: Hi-Spirits wins sambuca advert spat
Antica wins sambuca battle
Antica sambuca producer Hi-Spirits has fended off a complaint from Luxardo's distributor, Cellar Trends, to the UK's advertising watchdog over who leads the UK sambuca market.
Hi-Spirits claimed in a magazine advert that Antica was "the best selling on-trade sambuca by far" in the UK.
Its claim incensed Cellar Trends, which complained to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) that market research showed Luxardo to be the overall sambuca market leader in the UK.
The ASA today (16 June) sided with Hi-Spirits, upholding its advert as fair and accurate.
"For the record, Cellar Trends is responsible for growing the Sambuca sector over the last ten years," said Cellar Trends marketing director Terry Barker today.
He criticised Hi-Spirits for not sourcing its data in the advert, but conceded: "The complaint to the ASA was based on Nielsen data which appears to be incomplete. Data from CGA, used by Hi-Spirits, may be more robust."
An ASA assessment of available market data found that Antica's volume sales were 0.2% higher than Luxardo's year-on-year. Market share data for the 12 months prior to the advert's publication showed that Antica had the highest volume and value share of on-trade sales.
"We accept the ASA ruling and we are looking into the data research methods," said Cellar Trends.
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends