NETHERLANDS/SINGAPORE: Heineken set to take control of Asia Pacific Breweries
Fraser & Neave has sold its stake in Asia Pacific Breweries to Heineken
Heineken has received approval from Fraser & Neave to secure full control of Asia Pacific Breweries from its longstanding partner.
The Netherlands-based brewer, which launched its bid to buy Fraser & Neave out of APB last month, confirmed today (3 August) that the Singapore conglomerate's board has recommended its offer of SGD50 per share in the brewing alliance. The transaction will cost Heineken in the region of SGD5.1n (US$4.09bn).
Fraser & Neave is in the process of arranging an EGM to put the offer to its shareholders.
Heineken and F&N jointly own Asia Pacific Investment Pte Ltd, which holds around 65% of APB. Heineken owns around 9.5% of APB on its own, while F&N has about 7.3% of APB. Upon conclusion of the purchase, Heineken will make a mandatory general offer to sweep up the remaining shares in APB that it would not own for SGD50 per share.
Heineken will be pleased to see the transaction conclude, having been made to wait a week by F&N late last month. Recent moves by ThaiBev to up its stake in F&N had forced Heineken to move for APB, after setting up the JV with F&N back in 1931. The brewer has also had to deal with Japan's Kirin Holdings owning almost 15% of F&N.
In the fourth part of Euromonitor's preview of 2013, alcoholic drinks analysts Spiros Malandrakis and Zsuzsa Szilagyi consider what the future holds for the world's brewers....
He's back, Back, BACK. After an absence of almost two years, we're delighted to welcome Larry Nelson, the publisher of Brewers' Guardian, back into the just-drinks fold. and, to kick things off again,...
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends