NETHERLANDS: Heineken Q1 profits slip, but sales climb as Americas unit shines
- Q1 net profits (reported) slip 37% to EUR143m (US$197.8m)
- Net sales (organic) up 3.4% to EUR4.04bn
- Q1 beer volumes up 1.5% at 38.2m hectolitres
- FY guidance reaffirmed
The Dutch group said Q1 sales were up on an organic basis
Heineken has reported a sharp fall in first-quarter net profits, but has reaffirmed its full-year outlook as sales rose in the period.
In a trading update today (24 April), the Dutch brewer said that net profits on a reported basis in the three months to the end of March fell by 37% to EUR143m (US$197.8m). Last year, Heineken's Q1 was boosted by the integration of the newly-acquired Asia Pacific Breweries.
In this year's Q1, group sales rose 3.4% on an organic basis to EUR4.04bn. However, on a consolidated basis, sales were down by 2.6%. First-quarter group beer volumes rose 1.5% on an organic basis.
Heineken flagged that its consolidated sales were affected by the divestement of its Hartwall business in Finland and “unfavourable” currency exchange rates.
Group volumes were boosted by “improvements” in Africa, Middle East, Western Europe and the Americas regions. Volumes in the premium segment rose by 8%.
In the Americas, sales grew 8.7% on an organic basis, helped by a strong performance in Brazil. However, Central and Eastern Europe was hit by a volume drop in the "mid-teens" in Russia.
Jean-François van Boxmeer, Heineken's chairman & CEO, said the encouraging performance in some regions is “offsetting continued challenging beer market conditions in Russia and softer consumer spending in Vietnam.”
He added: “Whilst economic conditions remain mixed, we will continue to invest in our portfolio of brands, drive further cost savings and fully leverage the benefits of our balanced global footprint.”
To read the company's full announcement, click here.
Synopsis Canadean's "Heineken N.V. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contai...
Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings ...
Canadean's "Heineken UK Limited: Foodservice - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, ke...
Heineken México is the second largest beer company in Mexico. The largest traditional beer company in Mexico, as it positions itself, previously named Cervecería Cuauhtemoc Moctezuma, has now, with it...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets