US: Heineken eyes US for Desperados battle with Anheuser-Busch Inbev's Lime-a-Rita
Heineken first launched Desperados in France
The move would put Desperados, the European 'spirit-beer' category leader, in direct competition with A-B InBev's US innovation Lime-a-Rita for the first time. It would also expand the flavoured beer battleground for the the two brewers after A-B InBev last week unveiled the rum-flavoured Cubanisto to go head-to-head with Desperados in the UK and France.
A Heineken spokesperson confirmed the brewer's interest in the US market today (11 March), and also said that the company plans to launch Desperados in “more than ten” new markets in the next 12 months.
Heineken is upping the global presence of Desperados after finding success with the Tequila-flavoured brand in Europe. It was first launched in France more than a decade ago and is now available in 67 markets, up from 46 three years ago, including the UK, Germany and Brazil.
A-B InBev's Bud Light extension Lime-a-Rita was launched in the US in 2012 - with new flavours added since - and has been praised for helping to prop up declining Bud Light sales as well as bringing new consumers into the overall beer category. According to A-B InBev, 50% of the incremental volumes coming in to the US beer category are from the Rita range.
To read a comment on the growing spirit-beer and “near-beer” categories in the US and Europe, click here.
Heineken Romania SA is expected to consolidate its leading position in beer by further investing in its production facilities and introducing new products. After a successful 2012 for its flavoured/mi...
Anheuser-Busch InBev's CEO has said he is confident the US beer market will continue to improve this year....
Beer in Netherlands industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contai...
Beer in Global industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains de...
Whiskey is a type of distilled alcoholic beverage usually made from fermented grain mash such as barley, corn (maize), rye, and wheat....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Category Innovations - Scotch Whisky VII
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China