SINGAPORE: Heineken could seek property partner for Fraser & Neave counter bid - analyst
Heineken's option are getting "limited", according to analysts UBS
Heineken would be "too stretched" to make a counter bid for Fraser & Neave alone and could seek a partner with property interests, according to an analyst.
Earlier today, ThaiBev announced it will mount an SGD9bn (US$7.2bn) offer for the Singapore conglomerate. If the deal goes through, it could see ThaiBev block Heineken's attempts to take full control of Asia Pacific Breweries.
Analysts UBS said the Dutch brewer's options are "getting more limited" following today's developments. "Heineken could seek a partner with an interest in F&N’s property business, Fraser Centrepoint, and launch a counter bid on F&N," it said in a note.
"Without a partner with an interest in property, we believe Heineken’s balance sheet would be too stretched to counter bid, without issuing shares."
But if ThaiBev's F&N bid goes through, Heineken will be "forced" to work with the Chang brewer, UBS said.
The analysts added: "Heineken could also try to split up the APB JV assets, which could be value destructive in our view."
The fourth and final part of this month's management briefing, which looks at the efforts of the brewing world in the environmental sustainability arena, considers the work of Heineken, Molson Coors a...
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Diageo's smart Seedlip sustainability move
- Pernod Ricard Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Why Vietnam is the next beer battleground
- Brown-Forman Q1 2017 results - Preview
- CEO Paul Schaafsma set to leave Accolade Wines
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- ASA bans Diageo's Captain Morgan UK ad
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review