USA: Havana Club petitions Supreme Court in latest twist to Bacardi Battle
Havana Club Holding (HCH), which owns the Havana Club brand of Cuban rum, has submitted a petition to the Supreme Court of the United States over its decision in February to rule in favour of Bacardi-Martini, in the dispute over the trademark Havana Club.The Supreme Court dismissed claims by HCH, the joint venture between Pernod Ricard and the Cuban state, over the rights to the trademark. In doing so it upheld claims by Bacardi-Martini and the Arechabala family that the family were the original owners of the brand and had their business confiscated by the Castro regime.According to HCH it is "seeking to prevent a takeover of its trademark in the US and the deception of the American consumer resulting from the sale by Bacardi of a non-Cuban rum labeled as 'Havana Club.'"The company went on to say: "The petition to the Court is motivated by the fact that fundamental questions of law - notably whether the provisions of a subsequent domestic law can abrogate retroactively obligations resulting from international treaties - are at the heart of the dispute."The courts in the US have so far sided with Bacardi three times, in a dispute that has lasted six years now.The decision of the Court on whether to accept for review the petition by HCH will be announced at the beginning of October. However the Supreme Court annually reviews around 6,000 petitions and accepts for review only about 100 of these.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- This week in spirits & wine
- Poland warning sends Stock Spirits shares tumbling
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts