NORWAY: Hansa aims to lead brewing shake-up
Hansa Borg Bryggerier wants to lead a consolidation process in Norway's fragmented brewing industry, according to CEO Lars Midtgaard.
The brewer wants to hold talks with Norway's small and medium regional brewers on strengthening their operations via mergers, Midtgaard said.
Mitgaard said that the offer of discussions is open to regional brewers like Macks Bryggeri, Aass and Grans, who have strong local beer brands.
"We want to play a leading consolidating role. Some regional brewers are struggling in Norway," Mitgaard said. "The dominating presence of Ringnes brewery is causing problems for Norway's regional breweries. They are looking at tougher price competition, falling volumes and thinner profits."
Consolidation will happen, said Midtgaard. "It must happen. Hansa Borg may not become as big as Ringnes, but we can grow through mergers to a size and scale that is more price competitive and profitable," he said.
Macks had revenues of EUR37m (US$49.3m) in 2006, while Grans generated turnover of EUR20m, and Aass EUR28m. By contrast, Hansa Borg's revenues amounted to EUR122m.
Norway-based Ringnes Brewery has launched two low-carb beers into its domestic market....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- SABMiller, Meantime Brewing say goodbye to 'craft'
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report