US/BELGIUM: Grupo Modelo takeover cements Anheuser-Busch InBev's top status - analyst
Anheuser-Busch InBev is still beer's "global mogul"
A-B InBev announced in June that it had agreed to buy the 50% of Mexico's Modelo it did not already own for US$20.1bn. The deal places the Belgian brewer ahead of rival “global mogul” beer makers, analysts CLSA said in a note yesterday (27 September).
“We expect A-B InBev's long-term sales and earnings-per-share growth to improve by one percentage point and from three to five percentage points, respectively, on the deal, likely to close in the first quarter of 2013,” the note said.
Mexico is well-placed to emulate A-B InBev's success in Brazil, where it has a 69% market share, the note said. Modelo has a 57% share in Mexico and margins can be lifted by lowering commodity costs and cutting staff.
The note also said A-B InBev can take advantage of future acquisitions in a global beer market 51%-controlled by brewers outside the top-five. A-B InBev has 20% of the global market while second-place SABMiller has 10%, the note said.
CLSA also said regulators were unlikely to block the Modelo takeover. However, last week, UK watchdogs said they were investigating whether the buy-out will raise competition issues in the country.
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research