US: Griffin Group snaps up Anchor Brewing Company
Griffin adds Anchor Brewing to its portfolio in the US
Drinks investment firm The Griffin Group has acquired San Francisco's Anchor Brewing Company.
The purchase, announced yesterday (27 April), will see Griffin take over Anchor's brewery and distillery in the city. Financial details behind the transaction were not disclosed.
Anchor, which dates back to 1870, was acquired by Fritz Maytag in 1965. In 1993, the company also began distilling spirits and owns the Old Potrero whiskey and Junipero and Genevieve gin brands.
Griffin has subsequently created Anchor Brewers & Distillers, of which Maytag will be chairman emeritus.
Additional affiliated companies to be held under Anchor Brewers & Distillers include Preiss Imports, a US specialist spirits and beer importer, and BrewDog USA, the US division of the UK brewer.
Also based in San Francisco, Griffin owns, distributes and markets a portfolio of craft beers and artisan spirits.
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research