THAILAND: Government hikes tax on spirits but spares wine and beer - report
Spirits were hit with a tax hikes by the authorities
Thailand has raised taxes on spirits but spared wine and beer from further increases, according to local reports.
The new excise tax, announed on Tuesday (21 August), increases the price of a litre of rice whiskey from THB120 (US$3.84) to THB150 and a litre of blended spirit from THB300 to THB350, the Bangkok Post reported.
The tax on brandy increased to 50% from 48%, the paper said. Wine and beer already hold a 50% excise tax, the maximum allowed, it said.
Taxes on cigarettes also increased, to 87%. Government ministers said the so-called “sin tax” will help deter from smoking and drinking, the Post reported.
Environmental sustainability remains one of the most active areas for the global drinks industry. This year, just-drinks returns to the subject with four separate management briefings, one per sector....
In the second part of this management briefing, which looks at environmental sustainability in the brewing sector, Ben Cooper looks at the role played by sourcing ingredients locally....
Here's the third part of this month's management briefing, which looks at three of the world's largest brewers and their efforts in the environmental sustainability arena....
Consumer behaviour has been transformed by technology, but the main consumer trends all have their roots in mankind's most primeval impulses. There are some important lessons for drinks marketers, as ...
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends