NEW ZEALAND: Frucor Beverages recalls water over algae fears
Frucor is recalling an entire run of its still water multipack
Suntory subsidiary Frucor Beverages has recalled an entire production run of its still water multipack after a consumer found algae in a bottle.
All NZ Natural multipacks with a best before date between 24 October and 30 October next year should not be drank, the New Zealand soft drinks company announced today (15 August). Frucor said the move is precautionary and the problem is limited to a small number of bottles.
The recall, it said, was prompted by a customer complaint and does not affect any other Frucor products.
Mark Callaghan, CEO of Frucor, which was bought by Suntory from Danone in 2008, said the potential hazard to consumers was low.
“We have identified that this was an issue with one run of bottles and not the water,” he said.
“The water is clear, pure New Zealand spring water and we have resolved that random bottles within this run were likely to not have been cleaned properly by the machine at the time, allowing the possibility of small amounts of green algae to grow if exposed to sunlight.”
It is not clear at this stage how much the recall will cost Frucor.
In this, the third part of Euromonitor International's preview of the year ahead, senior alcoholic drinks analysts Jeremy Cunnington and Spiros Malandrakis turn their attention to the global spirits c...
- The post-Brexit winners and losers - Analysis
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Interview - Seedlip founder, Ben Branson
- Customisable drinks - The next consumer trend
- Carlsberg to close UK distribution arm
- Pernod Ricard exec shuffle - Denis O'Flynn leaves
- Major spirits M&A remains out of sight - analyst
- C&C Group will be a Brexit victim - analyst
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater packaging revamp
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends