INDIA: French water giant Danone to sell Evian at Kumbh Fair.
French mineral water company Danone International Brands is to fly its Evian brand "From the Alps" to the Kumbh Mela especially for its VIP guests.
Six hundred guests from the US, UK and France will attend the Kumbh Mela - the largest Hindu festival in India - making it an ideal opportunity to publicise the brand among Indian glitterati. Some of the VIPs expected are Madonna, Sharon Stone, Pierce Brosnan, Demi Moore and Richard Gere.
Pepsi, which claims to have a 60% market share of colas in Allahabad city, has franchised UP Tourism, a government body, to promote its soft drinks in various camps. It recently launched its mineral water, Aqua Fina, and the Kumbh Mela will provide welcome exposure. Bisleri, which is sitting on a cool 50% market share in the water sector is quietly working in the background.
Tea brands are also elbowing each other at the Mela and Levers' Lipton, Tata Tea and Duncan are being actively promoted.
The Kumbh Mela is the world's largest festival and should attract some of the largest crowds ever seen at a religious event. The festival takes place once in 12-14 years, when the planets assume a certain celestial symmetry which they did during a mythological war many centuries ago, between the angels and the devil's forces documented in the Hindu religion.
The Mela attracts 30 million people and all are expected to take a dip in holy Ganges over a two mile stretch of the river at Allahabad, third-largest city of the northern Indian state Uttar Pradesh (UP). The festival lasts almost a fortnight.
A recent report on the UK soft drinks market showed that growth in non-carbonates at the expense of traditional carbonated soft drinks is much less marked in the on-premise sector than in the take-hom...
Danone has completed another share buyback transaction....
PepsiCo has confirmed that it is to drop its low-calorie drink Pepsi Edge....
Danone and Yakult have announced a joint venture to sell probiotic products in India. The move marks the first entrance by either company into the Indian market, in which they are aiming to become lea...
PepsiCo is rolling out a lime version of its Pepsi and Diet Pepsi brands....
Danone has announced plans for a joint venture in India with Japan's Yakult Honsha Co. ...
PepsiAmericas yesterday reported a small rise in first quarter net income and earnings per share to US$20.8m and US$0.15 respectively. The results compares to net income of US$20.5m US$0.14 for the fi...
France's Groupe Danone said on Friday that it had finally reached an agreement with The Coca-Cola Company to amend their existing deal regarding the distribution of retail bottled water products in No...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research