US: Foster's wine sales in US down as Oz wine slides
Sales of Foster's wines in US grocery stores fell by 1% last month, amid an overall decline of 3% in Australian wine sold in the US market.
Figures from AC Nielsen, released today (17 September), showed that sales of Foster's Beringer brand were down 3% year-on-year in August, while Lindemans was down 1%, Rosemount 17% and Wolf Blass 8%.
Overall US wine sales from grocery stores were up by 4% in August compared to a year earlier, below the recent trend for annualised growth of 6%.
Goldman Sachs JBWere analyst Ian Abbott said pricing growth of just 2% suggested a tougher environment for sales in the US, where he expects Foster's wine revenue to decline by 6% in the current financial year.
Altia and Grupo Codorníu has signed a deal for the distribution of the Spanish wine company's brands in Sweden, Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latvia and the Baltic sea travel retail markets....
Molson Coors has said that its interest in Foster's has not changed, following the Australian group's announcement that it will not sell off its wine business....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Constellation Europe has appointed Foster's EMEA marketing director James Lousada as its senior vice president of marketing and business development....
The 2009 Australian vintage is estimated to fall 11% on last year to 1.63 million tonnes. The harvest is just under half way through....
Heineken subsidiary Scottish & Newcastle UK allowed volumes of Foster's beer to slide in 2008 because the group refused to take part in deep discounting on lager brands by multiple retailers, just-dri...
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
Foster's has said that it intends to keep its struggling wine business, but will separate its wine and beer divisions and dispose of more than 30 "non-core" vineyards, as well as 37 brands....
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- The global tailwinds behind Heineken - Analysis
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends