AUS: Foster's launches new ciders
Foster's is looking to tap higher growth in Australia's cider market, with two new product launches.
Mercury Artisan is pitched as a craft cider made with Tasmanian apples rather than the standard juice concentrate, while Strongbow Spark, available in red and green apple varieties, contains 10% fresh apple juice, added after the brewing process in order to sweeten the palate.
"Cider is very similar to wine in that you can get very different flavour profiles from it, from sweeter styles to quite crafty-flavoured products," said Nick Mann, Foster's general manager for cider and spirits.
Foster's has a 90% share of Australia's cider market, including domestic licences for Strongbow and Bulmer's brands and the wholly-owned Mercury label.
Cider sales rose 12.1% by value over the 12 months to the end of August, compared to 4.7 per cent for the whole of the alcohol market, according to market research firm ACNielsen.
Concerns over health and drink-driving are fostering growth in the low- and non-alcohol beer categories. Spiros Malandrakis, drinks analyst at Euromonitor International, assesses the progress and pote...
The growing problem of spirits counterfeiting not only results in loss of revenue for spirits companies but more alarmingly continues to cost lives. Keith Nuttall and Emma Jackson report on attempts b...
The Scotch Whisky Association has hailed new progress in its battle to force Indian states to reduce import tax on spirits, but the body has rejected claims that the issue is settled....
UK vodka sales will rise to GBP2bn (US$2.92bn) by 2013, but the pace of growth is set to slow, according to the latest research from Mintel....
SABMiller subsidiary Southern Sudan Beverages has begun brewing White Bull Lager, the first beer to be produced in Sudan for more than 25 years....
Foster's is to increase its share in Foster's Group Pacific Ltd, after signing a deal to buy a 29% stake in the company currently held by Fijian Holdings Ltd for FJD$40m (US$18.2m)....
The European, Middle Eastern and African division of Foster's Group has signed up the Courtauld Commitment, an environmental initiative organised by the Waste & Resources Action Programme (WRAP) in th...
Central European Distribution Corporation has signed a deal with private equity group Lion Capital that will see it take full control of vodka producer Russian Alcohol within five years....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Bacardi recruits ex-News International exec
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends