US: Foster's Group acquires niche Napa operation
The Foster's Group wine division, Beringer Blass, has acquired the RMS wine facility in the Napa Valley, California from Remy Cointreau for an undisclosed sum.
Beringer Blass made the acquisition through its Etude Wines operation. The 12-hectare site in the Carneros region of the Napa includes 3,720 sq m of French-style stone buildings, which are currently being re-developed into a winery, and a 4-hectare vineyard planted with Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. The RMS facility is expected to become operational as a winery no later than the fourth quarter of 2004. The deal is expected to be finalised in August.
Beringer Blass has made the acquisition of what is viewed as a premium, showcase facility to boost its presence in the expanding Pinot Noir market in the US. US retail sales figures indicate that sales of domestically-produced Pinot Noir increased by 10% in the 52 weeks to May.
"It is in a very good location on a key highway into the Napa region with a lot of traffic, so part of the benefit for us is to be able to increase cellar door sales," a company spokesman said. "We expect that to be a significant part of the growth of Etude going forward."
The Etude Wines operation is a premium-orientated business, acquired by Beringer Blass in September 2001, which mainly supplies restaurants. The Etude wines retail for between US$38 and US$70 a bottle.
As Pernod Ricard, Allied Domecq and Fortune Brands close in on the biggest drinks industry deal since the sale of Seagram, opinion about how the deal will be structured and who stands to win and lose ...
Shares in Southcorp and Foster's have been halted from trading, pending an announcement....
Remy Cointreau has posted a slight rise in revenue growth for fiscal year 2005....
The Polish unit of Remy Cointreau has pulled out of the race for a majority stake in Polmos Bialystok....
Central European Distribution Corporation (CEDC) has revealed plans to enter into a strategic alliance with Remy Cointreau....
Coverage of Remy Cointreau has been initiated by Citigroup Smith Barney....
Southcorp's share price has dropped below the offer price made by Foster's for the first time today (18 April)....
Remy Cointreau has officially opened its new logistics centre in Angers, western France....
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US