AUS: Foster's faces mounting wine losses - analyst
Goldman Sachs analyst Ian Abbott has warned that Foster's Group could slash the book value of its wine assets by a further A$700m.
Foster's in August cut the carrying value of its intangible wine assets by A$471m (US$314m) and reallocated A$575m of goodwill to its beer division.
"Given that the global economy has deteriorated in the six months since the previous review of carrying values, we believe there is a risk of further write-downs," Abbott said.
The company currently has $2.2bn of wine-related intangible assets on its balance sheet.
Foster's is expected to announce the findings of a wine division review on February 17, when it is scheduled to report its first-half profit.
The best laid plans, as they say, can go awry. However, for Chris Losh, the Australian wine industry’s Direction to 2025 plan has not only been overtaken by events in the country’s main markets but wa...
Last month, ex-Brown-Forman exec David Cox became Europe director for New Zealand Winegrowers. He spoke with Chris Mercer about what attracted him to working for a generic body and about New Zealand's...
Foster's winery Rosemount Estate has signed a one-year partnership with reality tv show Hell's Kitchen in the US, hosted by celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
Merrill Lynch analyst David Errington has upgraded his assessment of Foster's Group to "buy" for the first time in four years....
Diageo is not looking to acquire Britvic, despite recent press reports, just-drinks understands....
The CEO of Coca-Cola Amatil has hinted that the soft drinks group might consider a play for Foster's' beer unit, should Foster's sell off its wine business....
The head of SABMiller's beer business in India is to leave the group....
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report