SWEDEN: Fortune Brands favourite to pick up Vin & Sprit - sources
Fortune Brands is the favourite of four remaining candidates to buy state-owned Vin & Sprit, according to sources in Stockholm.
The sources told just-drinks today (19 February) that Fortune is most likely to beat out Pernod Ricard, Bacardi and Swedish private equity group EQT, which is applying in cooperation with investment company Investor. The Swedish companies are influential at home but are thought to prefer buying Vin & Sprit to break it up while the government hopes it will remain in one piece.
"Fortune Brands already distributes Absolut in the US and that's a very important factor," said the source. Pernod Ricard was seen as the second strongest candidate because of a pledge it had made not to break up the company and to continue production of Absolut in Sweden. Both companies are listed but Bacardi's corporate structure - as a private, family-owned company - is not thought to be favoured by the Swedish state, which is aiming to raise between US$5bn and $6.5bn from the sale.
Pernod Ricard has said the first stage of an upgrade to facilities at its Champagne Mumm winery will be ready for the new harvest....
Pernod Ricard has said it hopes to have completed the sale of Scotch whisky distillery Glendronach by September....
Pernod Ricard has released a summer-based pack offer for its Malibu rum brand in the UK....
Pernod Ricard has unveiled an addition to The Glenlivet portfolio in the US....
Stolichnaya vodka is not for sale, but brand owner SPI Group is in negotiations to form new distribution agreements in key markets, minority shareholder Andrey Skurikhin has told just-drinks....
Thirty five of the world's 100 largest-selling spirits brands by volume are Asian, according to new research....
A bid by US firm Frank Pesce International Group for the global rights to Stolichnaya vodka has been rejected by brand owner SPI, just-drinks understands....
Fortune Brands has elected a new director to its board....
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends