US: Flor de Caña owner hands rights to William Grant & Sons
The brand will be handled by William Grant in the US from June
Compañía Licorera de Nicaragua, owner of Nicaraguan premium rum brand Flor de Caña, is ending its seven-year relationship with Gruppo Campari to hand US distribution for its portfolio to William Grant & Sons.
The US unit of the privately-owned UK distiller will take on sales, marketing and distribution of Flor de Caña’s slow-aged single estate rums from June 30. The rum producer and Campari have “agreed to end their relationship” as the contract expires, William Grant said today (24 February).
The Glenfiddich producer said it will “work co-operatively (with Campari) to transition the brand”.
Financial terms of the tie-up between William Grant and Compañía Licorera de Nicaragua were not disclosed.
Robert Collins, Flor de Caña's MD said: “The company (William Grant) has one of the strongest reputations for building brands for the long term, and currently boasts one of the fastest-growing portfolios in the US. We’re very excited to work together to continue to build on the success of Flor de Caña.”
He added: “We thank the team at Campari America for all of their efforts on our behalf, growing the Flor de Caña brand to just under 100,000 nine-litre cases in the US.”
A Campari spokesperson told just-drinks that the company had grown sales of Flor de Caña portfolio by around 33% since it took it on in 2007. Campari has its own line-up of rums, having taken control of Appleton Estate and Wray & Nephew owner Lascelles deMercado & Co in late 2012.
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Analysis - SABMiller's LatAm aim? Drink more beer
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Pernod Ricard appoints Absolut Vodka VP
- Beam Suntory to re-package Courvoisier Cognac
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beer, 2014 and the future