US: Flor de Caña owner hands rights to William Grant & Sons
The brand will be handled by William Grant in the US from June
Compañía Licorera de Nicaragua, owner of Nicaraguan premium rum brand Flor de Caña, is ending its seven-year relationship with Gruppo Campari to hand US distribution for its portfolio to William Grant & Sons.
The US unit of the privately-owned UK distiller will take on sales, marketing and distribution of Flor de Caña’s slow-aged single estate rums from June 30. The rum producer and Campari have “agreed to end their relationship” as the contract expires, William Grant said today (24 February).
The Glenfiddich producer said it will “work co-operatively (with Campari) to transition the brand”.
Financial terms of the tie-up between William Grant and Compañía Licorera de Nicaragua were not disclosed.
Robert Collins, Flor de Caña's MD said: “The company (William Grant) has one of the strongest reputations for building brands for the long term, and currently boasts one of the fastest-growing portfolios in the US. We’re very excited to work together to continue to build on the success of Flor de Caña.”
He added: “We thank the team at Campari America for all of their efforts on our behalf, growing the Flor de Caña brand to just under 100,000 nine-litre cases in the US.”
A Campari spokesperson told just-drinks that the company had grown sales of Flor de Caña portfolio by around 33% since it took it on in 2007. Campari has its own line-up of rums, having taken control of Appleton Estate and Wray & Nephew owner Lascelles deMercado & Co in late 2012.
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- Comment - Will the Sweetener Battle turn Sour?
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets