EU: Finland to push for EU-wide alcohol tax rise
Finland will use its six-month tenure as EU president to push for an increase in alcohol taxes, the country's teetotal president Matti Vanhanen said this week.
But any plans to increase minimum duties are likely to face stern opposition from other EU countries.
Almost all the wine-producing states in the EU, for example, have zero duty on wine - apart from France, which imposes a low rate - and would be hard to convince that an increase is needed.
Shoppers from Finland, Denmark and Sweden, where high taxes are justified on health grounds, are increasingly buying their alcohol in neighbouring countries such as Germany or Estonia, where rates are much lower.
A new EU alcohol policy, due later this year, is also expected to suggest an increase in duty rates to stop the rise in alcohol-related health issues.
EU alcohol controls are under review, and there have been concerns that the Finnish presidency could prompt a more draconian approach. Ismo Tuominen, head of alcohol policy at Finland’s ministry of so...
South African drinks group Distell has secured a key wine deal with Scandinavian distributor Altia Corporation....
Pernod Ricard has signalled its commitment to promoting responsible drinking with plans to put warnings to pregnant women on all its wine and spirit brands throughout the EU....
California's Board of Equalization (BOE) has voted to conduct a review of how alcopops are classified and taxed in the state following concerns over underage drinking from high school seniors....
A California politician has introduced legislation aimed at protecting the Paso Robles American Viticultural Area (AVA)....
V&S Group looks ready to close a production site in Sweden as it looks to cut costs throughout its business in the Nordic region....
Anheuser-Busch will decide whether to enter India "probably within three months", the head of the US brewing giant's international operations told just-drinks today (12 December)....
Russian authorities are looking to delay the introduction of new excise equipment, according to local reports....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends