EUROPE/UKRAINE: European drinks companies poised to benefit from Ukrainian duty removal
The duty on alcohol imports from Europe to Ukraine are set to be scrapped
The European Commission has released details of proposals to remove tariffs on goods traded between the European Union and Ukraine.
The announcement came late last week as the Ukrainian Government signed a political agreement cementing closer links with the EU. Existing tariffs would be scrapped, upon agreement being secured from both the European Parliament and the EU Council of Ministers.
The move would open up Ukraine to European companies keen to expand into the country.
Duties that would be dropped include those on EU wine exports, which are currently EUR1.50 per litre for sparkling wines and between EUR0.30 per litre and EUR0.40 per litre for most appellation still wines. EU spirits exports have also been hit hard in the past: Scotch whisky, gin, brandy and Cognac exports are hit by a tariff of EUR3.50 per litre.
Ukraine's duties on fruit juices currently range between 2% and 10% and are 10% on mineral water.
These duties would be dropped after Ukraine’s planned May presidential elections. Some EU duties on Ukraine drinks exports could be scrapped before that date.
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Absolut rebound paints rosy picture for Pernod
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends