ESTONIA: Estonia to double alcohol taxes
The Estonian Ministry of Finance has presented a draft plan to the national parliament advocating a 20% increase in alcohol taxes effective from 1 January 2008.
The proposed tax increase forms one segment of a broader tax package that also endorses raising taxes on car fuels and tobacco products.
"The government had originally planned to increase the tax on alcohol products by 10%," Finance Minister Ivari Padar told the Estonian parliament yesterday (May 29). "There is a need to prepare Estonia's economy to join the Eurozone in 2011. These new tax measures are needed if we are to bring Estonia into line."
The alcohol tax hike could hurt inward tourism, however, especially from Sweden and Finland, Padar warned.
Alcohol harm is back at the top of the media agenda this week - is it ever away for long? The Alcohol Health Alliance, a newly-formed association of 24 leading health organisations in the UK, is c...
A committee of the European Parliament has come down firmly in favour of drastic changes to the European Commission's plans for reforming the EU's wine sector....
Sapporo Holdings has requested further information from Steel Partners for the third time, regarding the US private equity group's attempts to up its stake in the Japanese company....
The UK Prime Minister has warned the drinks industry to 'get more involved' with the issues of under-age and binge-drinking in the country, or face tougher action in the future....
Belvedere has posted a healthy lift in sales for the first nine months of this year, as Polish reports have claimed the company has acquired a local alcohol distributor....
Anheuser-Busch has launched two seasonal beers under its Michelob brand....
The privatisation of Swedish state-owned alcohol concern Vin & Sprit has been brought forward as an indirect result of the US sub-prime mortgage crisis, Swedish media has reported....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends