GLOBAL: Emperador Inc rises up spirits volumes chart - figures
Emperador Inc's namesake brandy became the second-largest spirits brand in the world last year, but still trails far behind HiteJinro's South Korean soju Jinro, new figures show.
Emperador Brandy overtook Thai spirit Ruang Kao with global volumes growth of about 2m nine-litre cases in 2013 to 31.9m cases, according to the IWSR’s annual 'Real 100', released today (30 June). Ruang Kao, owned by TCC Group, slipped back in volumes to 30.9m cases.
Both brands only sold half as much as Jinro despite the brand also losing volumes, down 3% to 65.6m cases.
The figures reveal Emperador Brandy's meteoric rise over the past few years, more than tripling its volumes since selling 7m cases in 2009. Its Philippine-based owner is in line to take over Scotch producer Whyte & Mackay after agreeing a deal with Diageo in May.
In 2012, an analyst told just-drinks that regional brands will continue to outsell international labels because drinking cultures remain local in most markets.
|Rank/Brand||Category||Owner||Volume 2009||Volume 2012||Volume 2013||% change 2013 on '12|
|1 Jinro Soju||Shochu/Soju||Hite||67361.6||67710.1||65660||-3|
|2 Emperador||Other brandy||Alliance Global||7100||30000||31950||6.5|
|3 Ruang Kao||Other spirits||Thai Beverage||31900||31500||30870||-2|
|5 Officer's Choice||Other whisk(e)y||ABD||12277||18705.3||24164.3||29.2|
|6 McDowell's||Other whisk(e)y||USL/Diageo||13040||19273.3||23291.3||20.8|
|7 Chum Churum||Shochu/Soju||Lotte||16773||21273||21814||2.5|
|8 Johnnie Walker||Scotch whisky||Diageo||14879.8||18847.1||19288.3||2.3|
|10 Hong Tong 'Liquor'||Other spirits||Thai Beverage||6500||16375||18500||13|
The world’s leading spirits producer, Diageo also ranks 23rd in the global wine market. This profile analyses the challenges faced by Diageo’s wine operations, which sit uncomfortably with the company...
Analyses of the leading companies in the alcohol industry...
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global spirits market during May 2015....
The report provides a review of the latest news and key events in the global spirits market during September 2014....
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Concha y Toro's Q2 by region, brand - Focus
- A step forward in alcohol research? ISFAR 191
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Beam Suntory's Bowmore 10 Year Old - NPD
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review