GLOBAL: Emperador Inc rises up spirits volumes chart - figures
Emperador Inc's namesake brandy became the second-largest spirits brand in the world last year, but still trails far behind HiteJinro's South Korean soju Jinro, new figures show.
Emperador Brandy overtook Thai spirit Ruang Kao with global volumes growth of about 2m nine-litre cases in 2013 to 31.9m cases, according to the IWSR’s annual 'Real 100', released today (30 June). Ruang Kao, owned by TCC Group, slipped back in volumes to 30.9m cases.
Both brands only sold half as much as Jinro despite the brand also losing volumes, down 3% to 65.6m cases.
The figures reveal Emperador Brandy's meteoric rise over the past few years, more than tripling its volumes since selling 7m cases in 2009. Its Philippine-based owner is in line to take over Scotch producer Whyte & Mackay after agreeing a deal with Diageo in May.
In 2012, an analyst told just-drinks that regional brands will continue to outsell international labels because drinking cultures remain local in most markets.
|Rank/Brand||Category||Owner||Volume 2009||Volume 2012||Volume 2013||% change 2013 on '12|
|1 Jinro Soju||Shochu/Soju||Hite||67361.6||67710.1||65660||-3|
|2 Emperador||Other brandy||Alliance Global||7100||30000||31950||6.5|
|3 Ruang Kao||Other spirits||Thai Beverage||31900||31500||30870||-2|
|5 Officer's Choice||Other whisk(e)y||ABD||12277||18705.3||24164.3||29.2|
|6 McDowell's||Other whisk(e)y||USL/Diageo||13040||19273.3||23291.3||20.8|
|7 Chum Churum||Shochu/Soju||Lotte||16773||21273||21814||2.5|
|8 Johnnie Walker||Scotch whisky||Diageo||14879.8||18847.1||19288.3||2.3|
|10 Hong Tong 'Liquor'||Other spirits||Thai Beverage||6500||16375||18500||13|
A trial campaign from Diageo is to use digital posters at London bus stops to direct consumers to the best local bar for drinking Pimm's....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How soft drinks can exploit alcohol's loss
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- Diageo job cut figures "likely overstated"
- Diageo investment paying off for Captain Morgan
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends