EUR: ECJ rules against Anheuser-Busch InBev in Budweiser row
One up to Budejovicky Budvar against Anheuser-Busch InBev over Budweiser
The European Court of Justice has ruled that Anheuser-Busch InBev cannot register the name Budweiser as a trademark across the EU.
The trademark for the word already belongs to the Czech brewer Budejovicky Budvar, the ECJ said yesterday (29 July).
The decision of Europe's highest court follows A-B InBev's attempts to register Budweiser as its trademark in the EU in 1996. The global brewer's initial application to the Office for Harmonisation in the Internal Market was rejected in favour of Budvar's earlier registration, leading to A-B InBev appealing to the high court.
“For us, it is very much a stabilising factor as far as our position in the EU goes,” said Budvar’s lawyer, Helena Lejtnarová.
However, the vice president for global communications at A-B InBev, Marianne Amssoms, countered that the judgment has no effect on the company's business in Europe or its existing Bud or Budweiser rights.
Budejovicky Budvar is the only one allowed to use the Budweiser name in 19 EU countries, most notably Germany. “In another eight, it belongs to the other side of the dispute and in UK to both,” Petr Samec of Budvar told just-drinks today.
One of the first signs of madness, I was always told, is talking to yourself. If that's the case, then Larry Nelson may have finally lost it. Before we cart him off, though, let's listen in on his and...
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- AB InBev fund ZX Ventures buys homebrew co
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Edrington’s The Macallan 40 Year Old - NPD
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends