SWEDEN: EC tells Sweden to relax drinks laws
At present under Swedish law, private individuals are, under certain conditions, only allowed to bring alcohol into Sweden for their own use, if they do so personally.
However, if consumers in Sweden cannot themselves physically transport the product into the country, their only option is to request Systembolaget, the national alcohol retail monopoly, to bring it in on their behalf. They are not allowed to request other intermediaries to do so.
The Swedish authorities argue that the ban is necessary for health protection reasons.
However, the Commission said yesterday that it believes that an individual residing in Sweden should not be precluded from purchasing products available on the market in other Member States.
"National provisions hindering such access create a trade barrier, which is not remedied by allowing consumers to request Systembolaget to bring in alcohol. The Commission's view is that protecting human health from the effects of excessive alcohol consumption could be achieved by other means that restrict trade between the Member States less," it said.
The result of this is that Swedish drinkers may, among other things, may now be able to order drinks over the internet or by mail-order from abroad.
The EC's letter to the Swedish authorities is only a "reasoned opinion", however it could pave the way to court action if Sweden does not comply.
The global roll-out of InBev's Brazilian beer, Brahma, adds a third premium brand to the global brewer's international portfolio but some observers have suggested it's an unnecessary step which threat...
Brasserie Kronenbourg has clarified earlier reports about its entry into the low alcohol beer sector in France....
Costs relating to alcohol abuse in Sweden are on the rise, according to research out this week....
Police in eastern Kenya have said that at least 24 people died on Saturday after drinking illegally produced alcohol....
According to a recently published study, people who drink alcohol may have a lower risk of developing a type of cancer which affects the lymphatic system known as non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL)....
Diageo is calling for facts labels to be placed on alcohol beverages in the US....
Kenyan authorities are to ban beer and spirits advertising from television and billboards in the country, according to a local report late last week....
Post-menopausal women who consume even moderate amounts of alcohol may face an increased risk of breast cancer, according to a comprehensive US study....
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020