FINLAND: Drinks industry pans alcohol tax rise decision
The Finnish Government will raise the tax rate on alcohol by less than its initial proposal
Finland’s drinks industry federation has criticised a Government plan to further increase the tax on alcohol in 2014.
Depsite, the Government’s decision to restrict the tax hike to half the amount stated in the 2014 budget plan, Panimoliitto has attacked the move. Next year's rise will see the tax on alcohol increase by EUR2.15 (US$2.90) per litre of 100% alcohol.
This amounts to a tax hike of 5% to 8.6%, depending on the category of alcoholic beverage.
Panimoliitto has lobbied strongly for a cut in alcohol taxes to reflect falling domestic sales and growing cross-border imports from Estonia. Finland’s beer tax is the highest in the EU, and over fives times higher than in Estonia.
At present, tax accounts for 60% to 80% of the per-litre retail price of beer in Finland.
Earlier this year, Heineken offloaded its Finnish brewing division, Hartwall, to Royal Unibrew. The move was a result of a review of the unit launched by Heineken in February.
Roland Pirmez was president of Asia Pacific Breweries before Heineken took full control of the joint venture in 2012. He now combines that role with heading up Heineken's Asia Pacific division. just-d...
The French unit of Heineken is set to invest EUR10m (US$13.8m) in one of its breweries in France....
Sales of fruit-flavoured cider in the UK have more than doubled in the last two years, ahead of the overall category, with growth expected to continue, according to market researchers....
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- William Grant upgrades Glenfiddich Cask Collection
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends