Product Launch - GLOBAL: Douglas Laing & Co’s Old Particular Single Cask range
Click through to view some of Douglas Laing & Co’s Old Particular Single Cask range
Douglas Laing & Co’s Old Particular Single Cask range
Category - Spirits, whisky, Scotch, single malt, single cask, abvs predominantly 48.4% or 51.5% with some natural cask strength bottlings
Available - From this week
Location - Globally, from specialist whisky retailers
Price - RRP of range starts at GBP50 (US$78), available in 70cl bottles
Douglas Laing & Co has launched its core single malt, single cask Scotch whisky range. The series, which comes under the title 'Old Particular', comprises:
- Glen Scotia 21-year-old (51.5% abv)
- Arran 17-year-old (48.4% abv)
- Blair-Athol – Sherry 20-year-old (51.5% abv)
- Clynelish 16-year-old (48.4% abv)
- Glen Garioch 21-year-old (51.5% abv)
- Glen Ord 16-year-old (48.4% abv)
- Glencadam 35-year-old (51.5% abv)
- Jura 20-year-old (48.6% abv)
- Bowmore 25-year-old (50.2% abv)
- Port Ellen 31-year-old (51.5% abv)
- Auchentoshan 15-year-old (48.4% abv)
- Bladnoch 21-year-old (51.5% abv)
- Auchroisk 18-year-old (48.4% abv)
- Braeval 15-year-old (48.4% abv)
- Caperdonich 18-year-old (48.4% abv)
- Glen Keith 20-year-old (51.5% abv)
- Macduff 21-year-old (41.9% abv)
- Miltonduff 17-year-old (48.4% abv)
- Tamdhu 25-year-old (51.5% abv)
- Teaninich 30-year-old (49.3% abv)
- Tomatin 20-year-old (51.5% abv)
Founded in 1948, family-run Douglas Laing & Co is a Scotch whisky blender and bottler. Earlier this year, the company was split between two members of the Laing family, with Stewart Laing leaving to set up Hunter Laing & Co.
With over 65 years of experience in the Scotch Whisky industry, leading independent Scotch Whisky specialist, Douglas Laing & Co announce the release of their new core Single Malt Single Cask range – their Old Particular.
Douglas Laing’s Old Particular is a ‘particularly’ unique series of individually hand-selected aged Single Cask Malts from all over Scotland – each bottled according to the founders’ philosophy of topmost quality. Meaning, Old Particular bottlings are from only one cask, without colouring and without chill filtration – allowing the cask and the naturally present oils, fats and enzymes in the spirit to make their own special contribution to its nose, mouthfeel, palate and finish.
Launching this September and available from specialist Whisky retailers, some truly exceptional bottlings feature in this first batch including Malts distilled at Bowmore, Caperdonich and Port Ellen distilleries to name but a few.
Since the start of the year, the Douglas Laing team has been quietly progressing and developing this exciting new range, which they believe is their best yet. Fred Laing, company Managing Director, and Jan Beckers, Global Malt Ambassador, have long been the ‘Noses’ within Douglas Laing. Accordingly they have been particularly busy selecting casks, writing tasting notes and determining the optimum alcohol strength at which to release this new series.
Douglas Laing have chosen to bottle Old Particular at three different alcohol strengths. Some rarities will be bottled at cask or natural strength and thereafter 48.4% for the bottlings aged to 18 years and 51.5% for 19 and over. These strengths have been decided upon after considerable internal discussion, tasting and analysis.
Global Malt Ambassador Jan Beckers comments “I am lucky enough to have been involved in the selection of thousands of casks at Douglas Laing and I am particularly excited about this new range. We believe the lower strength of 48.4% allows the ‘younger’, feistier Whiskies to soften out some of their ‘hotter’ characteristics. The older Malts have already had the effect of the Angel’s Share to mollify some of these hot spots and we believe at 51.5% strength, we achieve exactly the quality we want.”
Meanwhile no attention to detail has been missed in developing the packaging for Douglas Laing’s Old Particular Single Casks. From the super premium gift tube to the regionally coloured bottle labels, the team has worked tirelessly to create packaging worthy of such unique and old Single Malt Scotch Whisky.
Says Douglas Laing’s Managing Director Fred Laing: “After 65 years in the industry, we believe we have created Douglas Laing’s best ever Single Cask range – a natural progression to what has gone before. It has been a real labour of love, enthusiasm and experience – so the team and I are delighted to now be launching our Old Particular selection. We hope this Single Cask range captures the imagination of Whisky enthusiasts globally. It should take you as close as you can get to that rarest of pleasures – sampling a dram straight from its cask in the hallowed surroundings of a distillery warehouse.”
Douglas Laing’s Old Particular Single Casks will be available from specialist Whisky retailers from September 2013
Established over 65 years ago, Douglas Laing & Co. is a leading independent Scotch Whisky blender and bottler specialising in the selection and release of Single Cask Single Malt Scotch Whiskies.
The company was founded by Fred Douglas Laing in 1948 and is still owned and run by the Laing family.
The company philosophy is to bottle the way the distiller intended – at a high strength and non-chill-filtered to preserve the robust and unique character of the Whisky. Douglas Laing's industry reputation and many awards is testament to this ethos.
Beyond Old Particular, the award-winning Douglas Laing portfolio includes the King of Scots, Big Peat, Directors’ Cut, Provenance and Double Barrel.
Original source: Company Release
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US