UK: Doom Bar leapfrogs Greene King IPA as top-selling cask beer
Doom Bar is now the UK's top-selling cask ale
On-trade volumes of Doom Bar rose 30% to 133,226 barrels in the 12 months to April, figures from research group CGA have revealed. Sales by value in the same period leapt 32% to GBP114.9m (US$176.5m).
Doom Bar, whose brewer, Sharp's, was acquired by Molson Coors in 2011, was in the minority of leading UK cask ales to see volume growth last year. Volumes of number two brand, Greene King IPA, fell 7.4% to 127,092 barrels in the 12 months, with sales down 3.2% to GBP101.9m.
In third spot was Fuller's London Pride, whose volumes dropped 11.3% to 89,540 barrels. Sales fell 6.8% in the year to GBP79.1m.
Top 50 brands that gained strongly in volumes over the year were Jennings Cumberland Ale (+42.7%), Castle Rock's Harvest Pale (+355.8%), Hook Norton's Old Hooky (+229.6%), and Batemans XB (+838.8%).
The report covers total market (on- and off-premise) and includes valuable insight and analysis on beer market trends, brands, brewers, packaging, distribution channels, market valuation and pricing....
Molson Coors has escaped sanction from the UK's Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) after a complaint over a television advert for the Carling Cider brand and its origins....
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research