SOUTH AFRICA: Distell sells Lanzerac trademark
In a move to focus its wine portfolio further on its export markets, Distell has sold its Lanzerac trademark to Cape entrepreneur Christo Wiese.
Wiese acquired the Lanzerac farm, hotel and manor house in 1991, but an agreement was reached with Stellenbosch Farmers' Winery (now part of
Distell) whereby the company maintained the trademark rights for Lanzerac wines domestically. Wiese was responsible for exports and cellar door sales.
The effective date of the transaction is August 1, from when local distribution will be handed over to Wineworx on behalf of Wiese. He will, however, continue to handle exports directly.
Commenting on the sale, Distell's director of corporate affairs André Steyn said: "The disposal of the Lanzerac brand coincides with the company's objective to streamline its product portfolio to become more globally competitive, announced at the time of the merger.
"Distell is already very well represented in the luxury wine sector with a number of other award-winning estate and boutique brands that enjoy increasing foreign and domestic support. Moreover, this sector of our portfolio already includes several other wineries in the Stellenbosch area, where Lanzerac is located. In addition to the wineries in which the company has a stake, we also market and distribute on behalf of five independent estates."
He continued: "Our intention is to concentrate on building these labels. To this end we are working very closely with international viticultural and cellar specialists in growing quantity to support increased export demand, while even further elevating quantity."
Distell sells its luxury brands in the UK, Europe, Canada and, more recently, in the US.
Wiese said the acquisition of the Lanzerac trademark meant he could now unify marketing efforts both locally and abroad in expanding the brand's visibility and standing. "It already enjoys solid support in a range of European markets and North America and we are aiming to focus on strengthening market share in these markets as well as locally."
South African wine and spirits group Distell has posted a rise in half-year sales and volumes....
South African wine and spirit group Distell has been ordered to honour a contract it cancelled with a local grape farmer, according to reports....
Distell's broad-based black economic empowerment deal will cost about R870m (US$137m), but the new partners will be locked into an eight to 10 year agreement before any dividends are realised....
Distell today announced its broad-based transformation plans between a black economic empowerment group, certain employees and a corporate social investment trust (CSI Trust)....
KWV International has launched the second phase of its assault on the South African market with the introduction of its KWV 3-year-old brandy and Cathedral Cellar and KWV Classic ranges as it expands ...
Distell has appointed Don Gallow as its new director of international operations, in place of Etienne Heyns who left the company two weeks ago. ...
The Brown-Forman Corporation has added the Durbanville Hills range of wines from South Africa to its US portfolio....
Distell's headline earnings have rocketed by 34.5% to ZAR482.2m (US$75.2m) for the year to 30 June, thanks to improved performance from all the company's assets....
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends