S AFRICA: Distell brandy maturation cellar burns down
Initial investigations into a fire late last week which destroyed 3,000 barrels and about 900,000 litres of young brandy in a Distell maturation cellar point to a possible electrical short circuit.
Two military helicopters assisted local firemen contain the blaze, which also destroyed a home on the property that houses the De Wet Cellar complex near Worcester in the country. One person was slightly injured.
Distell has three brandy maturation cellars on the site with a total of eight maturation facilities around the Cape winelands. The product in the other cellars on the site was not affected.
The brandy in the cellar was due to mature until 2010 and had not been assigned to any specific brand in the company's ten-strong brandy portfolio.
Distell maintains contingency stocks of all products and thus said it does not expect to be significantly affected by the loss.
Despite having to presently import the vast majority of its annual supply of about 550m bottles for its lucrative RTD and cider segments, Distell has still managed to show handsome interim returns for...
The top ten most visited stories on just-drinks this week:...
Brown-Forman has moved to clarify the recent announcement that it is terminating two marketing agreements in the US....
Brown-Forman has confirmed the termination of two marketing agreements in the US. The company said yesterday (7 January) that its collaborations with Wray & Nephew and Distell Group in the country are...
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- Concha y Toro's Q2 by region, brand - Focus
- A step forward in alcohol research? ISFAR 191
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- AB InBev to cull 5,500 jobs after SABMiller buy
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- Beam Suntory's Bowmore 10 Year Old - NPD
- Heineken unveils new mid-strength lager Heineken 3
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review