UK: Diageo toasts tumbling media rates
Diageo GB is taking advantage of plummeting media rates to ramp up support for its spirits brands in 2009.
Diageo GB is embarking on a cross-brand campaign under the banner Bring Home The Spirit of Summer, to include drive-time sports on national commercial radio, ads on Tube gates in London, and ads in the London fee commuter press.
Russell Jones, director of category marketing, told just-drinks that "media deflation" means that marketing budgets are going further than before: "We've learnt lessons in the past that the ones that do well in a recession are those that invest well in their brands."
Falling demand from advertisers means media companies are more willing to cut deals on ad rates.
Figures from the Advertising Association show that total UK ad spend fell by 3.9% in 2008 with the biggest drops in direct newspaper and magazine advertising.
Yesterday (27 August), Diageo reported its full-year results. Although the company managed to hit its full-year guidance, the group's warning that this year will be tough suggests that Diageo has its ...
Diageo has fought a successful public relations rearguard action to shut the door on alternatives to its proposed job cuts in Scotland....
Diageo is trialling a mid-strength version of its Guinness beer in the UK, in response to calls for drinks with a lower alcohol content....
See the top ten stories published on just-drinks this week....
Whyte & Mackay, the Scotch whisky group owned by India's United Spirits, may cut its deal to supply bulk Scotch whisky to Diageo in favour of more lucrative contracts with smaller distillers....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has filed a lawsuit against Diageo North America, accusing it of copying the red wax seal used on Maker's Mark Bourbon bottles for Diageo's Jose Cuervo Reserva Tequila....
The top ten stories published on just-drinks this week:...
With the news yesterday (9 September) that Diageo is to press ahead with plans to move production of Johnnie Walker from its home in Kilmarnock with the loss of around 10% of its workforce in Scotland...
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research