UK/SA: Diageo to take half of UB Group SA sorghum unit
The two groups also announced a new JV in South Africa
The two sides, which secured a long-awaited deal earlier today (9 November), will take joint control of the South Africa unit, with Diageo spending US$36m on 50% of the division. The other half would be held by a company affiliated to UB Group's chief, Vijay Mallya.
Both sides will have equal shareholder votes, with Mallya taking the chairmanship on a 'no casting vote' basis.
“Diageo and Dr Mallya are also considering the possibility of extending their joint venture relationship by establishing a joint venture in respect of certain emerging markets in Africa and Asia (excluding India),” the two firms said.
Whilst emphasising that terms have not been determined, the South African JV “would be contributed to it”.
Diageo already operates a cost-sharing JV in South Africa, Brandhouse Beverages, with Heineken and Namibia Breweries. Brandhouse is a marketing, sales and distribution company for premium alcohol beverages in the country. At the same time, Diageo and Heineken jointly own a brewery in Sedibeng near Johannesburg, which was opened two years ago.
Yesterday evening, the Worshipful Company of Distillers hosted a debate in London about gin. Up for discussion was the question: "Gin: A tortuous history with a brilliant future?"...
I can't remember precisely when I first saw the BRIC acronym. Indeed, with only ten years' experience of the drinks industry, it seems to be have been around longer than I have. I can remember, howeve...
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Ten questions for Diageo - Analysis
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Craft Beer: Coming of Age or Past Its Prime?