UK/SA: Diageo to take half of UB Group SA sorghum unit
The two groups also announced a new JV in South Africa
The two sides, which secured a long-awaited deal earlier today (9 November), will take joint control of the South Africa unit, with Diageo spending US$36m on 50% of the division. The other half would be held by a company affiliated to UB Group's chief, Vijay Mallya.
Both sides will have equal shareholder votes, with Mallya taking the chairmanship on a 'no casting vote' basis.
“Diageo and Dr Mallya are also considering the possibility of extending their joint venture relationship by establishing a joint venture in respect of certain emerging markets in Africa and Asia (excluding India),” the two firms said.
Whilst emphasising that terms have not been determined, the South African JV “would be contributed to it”.
Diageo already operates a cost-sharing JV in South Africa, Brandhouse Beverages, with Heineken and Namibia Breweries. Brandhouse is a marketing, sales and distribution company for premium alcohol beverages in the country. At the same time, Diageo and Heineken jointly own a brewery in Sedibeng near Johannesburg, which was opened two years ago.
Yesterday evening, the Worshipful Company of Distillers hosted a debate in London about gin. Up for discussion was the question: "Gin: A tortuous history with a brilliant future?"...
I can't remember precisely when I first saw the BRIC acronym. Indeed, with only ten years' experience of the drinks industry, it seems to be have been around longer than I have. I can remember, howeve...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends