S KOREA: Diageo to appeal against extra tax levy
Diageo has said that it is appealing against efforts by the South Korean Government to levy extra tax on its previous drinks sales in the country.
South Korea's customs office is seeking an extra US$189.8m from Diageo, which it says did not pay enough tax on the imported Windsor Scotch whisky brand. According to the Korean Herald, the fine is the largest of its kind imposed by the country's customs on a business.
The fine was originally handed out in October, but Diageo has secured an injunction against it, pending the drinks firm's appeal at court. A Diageo spokesperson told just-drinks this week: “It would not be appropriate to comment further on the specifics of this matter as the whole dispute is currently subject to an appeal in the Korean courts system. We have confidence that the Korean judicial authorities will rule fairly.”
The case is separate from Diageo's recent contre-temps with the US Securities & Exchange Commission concerning its activities in South Korea, India and Thailand. Last year, the SEC used its overseas anti-corruption powers to fine Diageo US$16m for failing to stop its subsidiaries bribing officials in the three markets.
Earlier this week, we ran part one of our interview with the CEO of Remy Martin, Patrick Piana. Here, in the second and concluding part, Piana looks at the emerging markets as well as the mature marke...
Patience Gould is keen to snap you romanticists back into the real world. Brace yourselves......
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- What does Brexit mean for AB InBev's SAB deal?
- Can fruit cider survive UK slowdown? - Focus
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part II
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- UK spirits producers braced for Brexit impact
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends