INDIA: Diageo targets India growth through advisory council
Diageo has created an independent advisory panel to help the group's regional and global management make the most of the growing Indian alcohol market.
Led by Deepak Perekh, chairman of Indian finance company HDFC, the group also includes Ashok Ganguly, ex-chairman of consumer goods company Hindustan Lever; Naresh Chandra, former government cabinet secretary, and M A Alagappan, former chairman of the Murugappa Group conglomerate. Former managing director of Diageo India, Ravi Rajagopal, will be Diageo’s representative.
"The India Advisory Group will provide independent counsel on a broad spectrum of strategic matters, including corporate and brand positioning and talent development," a spokesperson for Diageo told just-drinks this week. "The strength of this group is a demonstration of India’s importance in Diageo’s strategy for emerging markets.”
The associated chambers of commerce and industry of India (ASSOCHAM) claims India’s alcohol market is growing 30% annually.
Earlier this year, just-drinks sat down with David Gates, the global category director of whisk(e)y at Diageo, to talk about Johnnie Walker, Formula One, Scotch and the other whisk(e)y sub-categories....
Diageo has declined to comment on the latest report out of India claiming that the drinks giant is back in talks to buy a stake in United Spirits....
Diageo has completed its token tender offer for the remaining shares in Shuijingfang in China....
Heineken has lined up the creation of a sales business development role in the US....
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015