UK: Diageo silent on Indian JV talk
Diageo has refused to comment on press speculation linking the drinks giant with Radico Khaitan in India.
In a report today, the country's Economic Times has claimed that the Indian company is set to float an equal joint venture with Diageo for a block of Asian markets, including India. The paper cited informed sources as claiming that Radico Khaitan, through its overseas subsidiary Radico Global, is in advanced talks with Diageo to tap opportunities in the Asian markets. This would mark Diageo's first major move in India, the paper noted, after selling its Indian Made Foreign Liquor Assets in 2002.
Sources told the paper that Diageo is looking to push brands like Smirnoff, and Scotch whiskies VAT 69 and Black & White in the country.
"This is market speculation," a spokesperson for Diageo told just-drinks today. "We will not be commenting on the report.
"India is part of the important BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) markets for us, so there will often be speculation linking us with small local companies in these markets," the spokesperson added.
Radico Khaitan runs United Spirits a distant second in the Indian spirits market, selling 12.5m cases a year compares to UB's 60m.
In November last year, Radico Khaitan said it was on the hunt for international brands, having hired Rabo Bank to scout for acquisition targets.
The deadline for bids for New Zealand's Independent Liquor passed today (6 December) but front-runner Lion Nathan remained tight-lipped on whether it had tabled an offer....
Lion Nathan reportedly faces its main opposition for Independent Liquor from private equity groups ahead of tomorrow's (6 December) deadline for the New Zealand-based spirits business....
Diageo, Bacardi and Pernod Ricard have pledged separate contributions totalling EUR120,000 to a campaign fund set up by the European Travel Retail Confederation (ETRC) to tackle the threat posed by ne...
Blossom Hill has announced a GBP900,000 (US$1.76m) TV advertising campaign in the UK for the four weeks leading up to Christmas....
Diageo has been given the all-clear to make a bid for New Zealand's Independent Liquor....
Sula Vineyards is expanding its domestic market, according to local reports....
French spirits and Champagne group Rémy Cointreau is quitting the Maxxium distribution network....
The announcement that Rémy Cointreau has today (23 November) served notice on its position in global distribution network Maxxium Worldwide is a little puzzling. If we take the announcement at face va...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research