UK: Diageo rolls out Smirnoff Gold to UK
Click through to view Diageo's Smirnoff Gold
The vodka variant contains 23-carat gold flakes and is flavoured with cinnamon. It was first launched in 2011 in travel retail following a trial in Mumbai airport.
Smirnoff Gold's UK launch will be supported by a GBP4.5m (US$7m) integrated marketing campaign, Diageo said today (19 August).
The company owns the Swiss-made liqueur Goldschläger, which also contains gold flakes. Global Brands took over Goldschläger's distribution in the UK in 2008.
Smirnoff, the UK’s number 1 vodka from Diageo, is continuing to invest in its flavoured vodka range with the introduction of Smirnoff Gold – a blend of Smirnoff No.21 premium vodka with a hint of natural cinnamon flavouring, and garnished with real edible 23 carat gold leaf. Available in all channels from mid-August, the launch will be supported by a £4.5m integrated through-the-line campaign.
The new variant is designed to appeal to consumers seeking new flavours, and is set to drive incremental sales into the vodka category, which is growing at 3% year on year in the off-trade. The edible 23 carat gold leaf ‘suspended’ in every bottle gives the product a stunning premium look, creating strong stand-out on shelf.
Karen O’Shea, Marketing Manager for Smirnoff Western Europe at Diageo, says: “Smirnoff is leading the way in innovation within the vodka category and this new premium offering represents a significant opportunity for retailers to grow their vodka sales by encouraging consumers to trade up.”
To coincide with the unveiling of the new variant, Smirnoff is launching a new signature serve - Smirnoff Apple Bite – a blend of Smirnoff vodka, lemonade and apple juice, which will inspire consumers to enjoy Smirnoff in new ways. The innovative Apple Bite can be enjoyed with any vodka from the Smirnoff range, including Smirnoff Gold for an ‘Apple Bite Gold,’ offering consumers the chance to experiment with different flavours from across the Smirnoff portfolio.
Smirnoff Apple Bite will also be available in a pre-mix can, ideal for consumers looking to enjoy ‘something for tonight.’ The addition of the pre-mix can offers the opportunity for convenience retailers to increase sales as pre-mix is the fastest growing alcohol segment in the off trade.
Karen O’Shea continues: “The launch of Smirnoff Gold and our new signature serve, Smirnoff Apple Bite, builds on our ‘Drink Inventively’ positioning; encouraging consumers to experiment with different flavour combinations, and driving category growth by attracting new and existing Smirnoff consumers with a highly unique, premium offering.”
Original source: Company Release
Following a flurry of activity in the Tequila sector last month, has Diageo finally returned to the point it had previously reached when it handled Jose Cuervo? Richard Woodard compares then to now....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The flavoured vodka category has been a growth engine of the spirits sector for some time, but new research from just-drinks suggests that the sub-category no longer represents the easy route to growt...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- A-B InBev to "kick the tyres" at Coca-Cola
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015